Sunday, April 16, 2006

: : travelers together : :

Genesis
Well, I started. Very excited! First, struck by how Moses can't write! Reminds me of a terrible Danielle Steele book I was stuck reading - it was so horribly written and repetitive I wanted to throw it across the room. Moses needed an editor! Anyway, lots of interesting parts and questions...ONE is "We shall make man in OUR image..." I don't know what the "we" is....
And I gave much thought to the Tree of Knowledge. I was struck by the “eating of the forbidden fruit.” Why was it forbidden??? Gen. 3:5 For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
I was wondering if this is like innocence?? Verse 6 says “the tree was desirable to make one wise,” and wise is the opposite of foolish, and wise also means good knowledge.
After Adam and Eve run and hide and clothe themselves, God says, “Who told you that you were naked?” I wonder if that is like our loss of “innocence” or signifies humans and the more “base” part of life. Like, “Who told you that you were NOT okay? Who told you that your skin color was not okay? Or, who told you that you were stupid, not good enough, not “enough” in general?”
It’s like when we’re children, we’re pure, we’re enough and we’re okay. It's like before Adam and Eve at the fruit. Then, later our eyes are opened by.....cruel parents, or other kids, or by JUNIOR HIGH or adolescence or trauma, or loss or something…..is that “eating the fruit? And gaining knowledge?
Then we know we are “naked, and we are ashamed,” or we know we are "too fat, too thin, too short, too mean, too nice, too dark-skinned, too light-skinned..." too whatever...like after Adam and Eve at the fruit.
I've just never understood the whole forbidden fruit thing....and this stream of consciousness I spewed above came out today....Goodnight, happy Easter all...

No comments: