Tuesday, July 11, 2006

That's Just the Way it Is; Some Things will Never Change

Reading Proverbs leaves me gasping for Ecclesiastes! Really, I find the book of Proverbs to be airtight. All those couplets come together to form an impossible reality--a world where common sense reigns, where the unpredictableness of the Sacred is given no space.

It's not even that I don't agree with much of it. Maybe it's to the extent that I find it so easy to agree with Proverbs that the vacuum becomes complete. It's the cumulative effect of the book that exhausts me.

That said, here are the Proverbs that stood out for me in today's reading:

Hope deferred makes the heart sick
but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life
13:12

Each heart knows its own bitterness
and no one else can share its joy
14:10

A gentle answer turns away wrath
but a harsh word stirs up anger
15:1

Better a patient man than a warrior
a man who controls his temper
than one who takes a city.
16:32

No comments: