Monday, May 15, 2006

Worship at the Center

I have been wanting to write something and never seem to find the time to do it. I have only a minute or two right now, but thought at least I'd get some very beginning ideas now and build off them later.

One of the things that is impressing me most as I read through these texts is just how much of it is focused on the worship of the people. Mind you, I'm studying for my PhD in liturgical studies--so I am rather predisposed to noticing this. And I think it's because of my reading context that I am noticing it in a way I never have before.

The "sin of Jeroboam"--as it's referred to again and again in 1 & 2 Kings--has to do with worship.

I love when Isaiah shows up in 2 Kings, by the way. And I hear the echo of the first chapter of Isaiah that goes on and on about empty worship (worship separated from acts of real justice).

This is the very quick tidbit I have time to write at the moment. I'll revisit it later.

No comments: